MILL WOODS LADIES GOLF CLUB BY-LAWS
amended October 2015
Name of Club: The name of the club shall be “Mill Woods Ladies Golf Club”.
Purpose of Golf Club: The primary purpose of this golf club shall be to provide for the recreation of the members, to promote and afford opportunity for friendly and social activities, and to encourage and promote amateur games and exercise.
Section 1: The order of business at all meetings shall be as follows:
- Reading and approval of the minutes of the preceding meeting
- Old Business
- Reports of Officers and Chairperson.
- New Business
Section 2: Procedures
“Robert’s Rules of Order, Revised” shall be the final authority as to parliamentary procedure at all meetings of all members insofar as they do not conflict with any provisions of these by-laws.
The Executive Board
Section 1: The Executive Board should consist of the following positions:
President, Vice-President, Secretary, Social Convener, Edmonton Golf Association Representative (E.G.A.), Club Captain, Assistant Club Captain, Prize Chair, and Membership and Communications Chair.
Section 2: The Club membership at the fall general meeting shall elect an Executive Board. The President, Vice-President, Club Captain and Assistant Club Captain shall each serve a term of one (1) year. The Edmonton Golf Association Representative term shall vary, and may correspond with the Edmonton Golf Association Board (E.G.A.) requirements for the Mill Woods Ladies Golf Club. The Vice-President shall serve one (1) year as Vice-President and in the second year will rotate into the position of President. The Assistant Club Captain shall serve one (1) year as Assistant Club Captain and in the second year will rotate into the position of Club Captain. The other Executive members shall serve a term of two (2) years. Notwithstanding Article IV, Section 6 in the event the Vice- President or Assistant Club Captain is unable to fulfill their second year of office, at the next general meeting the club membership may elect a member for the remaining term of the executive member whose vacancy she fills.
Any member of the Executive Board may extend her term subject to the approval of the club membership at the fall general meeting.
Section 3: Meeting of the Executive Board – The Executive Board shall meet at least once each month from January through October.
Section 4: Government and Management – Control and Management of the affairs, funds, properties of the club shall be vested by the Executive Board. All cheques, bonds or written contracts necessary for the conduct of business of the Club shall be signed by the Treasurer and any one (1) of the President or Vice- President.
Section 5: Interpretation – The Executive Board shall interpret these Bylaws and its decisions shall be final on all as to the interpretation of same.
Section 6: Vacancies – The Executive Board shall by majority vote, appoint any member of this club in good standing to fill any vacancy which might arise on the Executive Board. Such appointee will complete the term of the Executive Member whose vacancy she fills.
Section 7: Quorum – Six (6) members of the Executive Board shall constitute a quorum at any meeting of said Executive Board.
Section 8: If a member of the Executive Board does not perform her duties or is absent from two executive meetings without just cause, she may be expelled at the discretion of the Executive Board.
Duties of the Members of the Executive Board
President: Shall preside at all general meetings and Executive meetings; she shall be the ex- officio member of all committees and she shall perform all duties as are incidental to the Role of the President properly required of her. The President shall share her knowledge and duties to train the Vice-President in preparation for the presidency the following year.
Vice-President: In the absence of the President, she shall exercise all the functions of the President and shall be vested with all her powers; she shall be an ex-officio member of all committees; and she shall perform all such duties as are incidental to the Role of the Vice-President and are properly required of her. The Vice-President shall assist the President in all her duties to gain knowledge and prepare for the presidency the following year. She shall be in charge of organization of the bulletin board.
Secretary: The Secretary shall keep records/minutes of all meetings of the Mill Woods Ladies Golf Club, conduct correspondence, prepare for distribution topics and information (newsletters) at appropriate times, and be responsible for mail pickup. She shall maintain a book of motions that have been established in the Executive Board meetings.
Treasurer: The Treasurer shall have charge of the funds, shall conduct the banking business and audit all accounts; she shall keep full account of all money received and expended; and she shall provide a financial report to the general membership at the spring and fall general meetings.
Club Captain: The Club Captain shall be responsible for the following:
- Planning and conducting all competitions.
- Preparing a schedule of events and presenting it to the Executive Board for approval. The schedule should avoid conflict with Provincial, District and local schedules.
- Coordinating the activities of the following committees:
a. Draw Committees
b. Visiting Days
c. Pin Days
d. Ringer Board
e. Tournament Committee
f. Rules and Handicap – clinic to be organized if needed
g. Match Play
h. G.A. sponsored events (i.e., Podersky, Marshall, etc.)
- Policies to be implemented by the Club Captain and her committee with regard to:
– How scores are entered
– When handicaps are revised
– How cards are to be turned in
– How long handicaps are valid
– Grouping players by flights
– Handicap limit
- The Club Captain shall share her knowledge and duties to train the Assistant Club Captain in preparation for the position of Club Captain the following year.
- Assistant Club Captain shall assist the Club Captain in all her duties.
Prize Chair: The Prize Chair shall be responsible for the purchasing and distribution of all prizes and trophies. She shall be responsible for the Prize Committee.
Social Convener: She shall be responsible for the organization of all social functions, including the provisions of food and/or beverage. The Social Convener shall make arrangements for meeting rooms and the rules and handicap training room as required.
E.G.A. Representative: The Edmonton Golf Association Representative shall perform all the duties as required by the Association-Ladies Division and for both Ladies and Men’s Division when deemed necessary by the E.G.A. Board. She shall be responsible for coordinating inter-club competitions and the inter-club committees. The E.G.A. Representative shall participate in the coordination for any or all activities for E.G.A. events her club is hosting as required by E.G.A.
Membership and Communication Representative: She shall be responsible for the communication to the membership that is necessary, and shall keep an updated list of all members of the Mill Woods Ladies Golf Club. She shall be responsible for the distribution of Golf Canada cards to all members, and membership list to Alberta Golf Association.
- Membership fees are to be determined annually by the Executive Board and shall accompany the registration form.
- Membership renewals shall be accepted up to March 1st of the current golf season.
- Membership renewals after the registration deadline may be accepted only as approved by the Executive Board.
- New members will be accepted starting March 2nd of the current golf season.
- Any female may become a member of the Club by completing a registration form and paying the required annual membership fee, as long as there is room on the roster.
- Refund policy – if a member withdraws from the league before the Spring Meeting, they will be issued a full refund. A $20 administration fee will be charged if membership is cancelled after the Spring Meeting but before May 1st. No refunds issued after May 1st.
- Membership may be limited to two hundred (200) consisting of both day and business ladies, or such numbers as the Executive Board may approve and the Course can accommodate.
- The term of a membership is one year and if not renewed by March 1st of the current golf season the membership shall be terminated.
- The order for accepting memberships shall be as follows:
- Prior year members
- New members
Honorary Life Membership may be conferred by unanimous approval of the Executive Board.
Medical Policy: If you are unable to golf with MWLGC for a season for medical (i.e.: pregnancy, surgery, etc.) or other approved personal reasons, you may still be considered a returning member the following year at the Executive’s discretion. In order to do so, you must provide written notice (an email will suffice) to the Club Membership Coordinator. No refunds will be given after May 1st.
- Golf Canada shall apply as modified by the standing rules or local rules on the scoreboard.
- Decisions of the Club Captain shall be final in all cases.
- No one may compete in a special event until she has established a handicap or has a transfer of a handicap from another accredited course, unless the special event has a special section for such members.
- If a person cannot play a match on a specified day, the match must be played before the next match play day. If a future date cannot be arranged, the person originally asking for the postponement must default.
- In order to be eligible to play in the club championship proper, a member must have entered in the Golf Canada website five (5) scores consisting of 3-18 or 6-9 hole scores played at the Mill Woods Golf Club during the current season prior to the championship qualifying day.
- Local Rules: As indicated on the back of the scorecard and those posted before each tournament.
Section 1: General Meeting - There shall be two general meetings per year, one in the spring and one in the fall the dates of which shall be fixed by the Executive Board. Members shall be notified of the date, time and place of said meetings, by mail/email, at least one (1) week in advance. Ten (10) members in good standing at attendance at the meeting shall constitute a quorum.
Section 2: Special Meeting - The Executive Board is hereby vested with the authority to call a special meeting, notice of which shall be given by a posting on the bulletin board at least eight (8) days prior to the meeting. In addition, said notice shall contain a brief resume of the proposed business to be transacted at the special meeting. Quorum is outlined in Article VIII, Section 1.
Section 3: Request for Special Meeting - A special meeting may be requested by written petition of one-third (1/3) of the members of this Club. The Secretary shall cause notice to be given to all Club members in good standing in accordance with the preceding section of this article. Quorum is outlined in Article VIII, Section 1.
Section 4: Voting - Voting shall be done by the members in good standing by a show of hands. Such voting must be made in person and not by proxy or otherwise.
The fiscal year of the Club shall be January 1 to December 31. The books and records of this Club may be inspected by any member of the Club at the annual meeting provided for herein or at any time upon giving reasonable notice and arrange a time satisfactory to the officer or officers having charge of same. Each member of the Executive Board shall have access to such books and records at all times.
A member may be disqualified from membership for conduct detrimental to the Club at the discretion of the Executive Board. In the event that any member is expelled, the expelled club member shall forfeit her fee.
In the event that a member should be banned from the Mill Woods Golf Course by MCARFA, that member shall automatically be expelled from the ladies club and forfeit representation in the Mill Woods Ladies Golf Club.
- Bylaws should be revisited a minimum of every five (5) years.
- Amendments recommended by the Executive Board shall be voted on by the membership at an Annual General Meeting